Friday, May 04, 2007

Friday Grog Blogging: Great White

Welcome back to Friday Grog Blogging, in which I buy a new brand of beer, drink it, and then describe it. This week, May 4, is a wheat beer from Lost Coast Brewery that they call Great White Beer. Let's go to More Dwarf, eh?


Impressions: poured out in a glass, it's almost as clear as Bell's Lager. Hrm. It claims to be an 'unfiltered beer' but we're approaching American piss-water in color.

What the hell, down the hatch. It's aboust a light as last week's, but it has a fairly strong aftertaste of lemon. Really helps sell the 'wheat beer' branding. More accurately, it's a taste of generic citrus, but lemon is the generic citrus, so that's what it tastes like.

There's not much foam, and it quickly disperses. Starting on my second bottle, I have to revisit my statements on its clarity. While it's not as opaque as a belgian or even Blue Moon, it's sufficiently translucent as to be a passable wheat.

It's a beer, alright, but the only thing that stands out is the citrus. No snarl, no hops or barley, just a 'delicate citrusy flavor'. What a coincidence - that's just what the bottle says.

I'm starting a new scale for ranking that will triple the available scores. Since I know I could never give out either a rating of zero, one, or four pints, that only leaves me with giving out two, three, or some fraction thereof. That's an unacceptably small window.

So starting tonight, I'm going to rank Friday Grogs on a scale of eight, eight being the perfect beer (strongbow about 7.5), and 0 being unspeakably vile (miller light, etc about 1).

On this new and improved scale, Great White Beer ranks about 5 1/2 pints out of 8.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home